Updated: Jan. 7, 2013
The first step of the challenge we all face is to *see* what's actually happening in the world; to learn how things work, why they are the way they are, and to realize that an awful lot about what we're shown and told every day has very little to do with reality, what's right or what's true.
We all have a long-evolved tendency to resist and deny certain things -- especially when they don't register as immediate threats, and when belief in them would challenge us to re-think our perceptions of ourselves and others. (Compilation: Psychology of climate crisis denial, inaction, immobilization)
But deep down, most of us can sense that something's not right. And when we step back and look at our lifestyles, it's clear for instance that materialism and over-consumption are empty, unsustainable pursuits.
We know that pollution is out of control. Weather seems a touch strange of late -- warmer, colder or more extreme than we remember just a few, short years ago. And we know that politicians must in large part say what they need to in order to appeal to the powerful corporate interests they have to please in order to attain -- and remain -- in office.
Consider the wasteful logic of almost every holiday ritual we participate in: Christmas trees. Wrapping paper. Unhealthy food.
In contrast, as you go about your usual day-end decompression, imagine a life-like hologram in your living room (that you can't turn off) of a starved family from a drought or flood-ridden country -- their struggle, their desperation, their love for each other.
Now take a second to compare the hardship of their lives to yours, the excesses of our society to theirs, and try to envision how different your life would be had you suffered the random circumstance to have been born there instead of here.
Difficult as it is to communicate, absorb and process, let alone accept...
Our shared atmosphere is on an accelerating course to reach a state of potentially unsurvivable, global climate extremes during the lives of today's children and teens. (See: Compilation: +4C by 2060s or sooner catastrophic / incompatible with organized civilization.)
No less than the fate of all generations of all peoples and most species hangs in the balance RIGHT NOW. And only emergency international action at emergency (world war-time) speed FAST *may be* proportional enough to confront the scale, scope and urgency of what is already the greatest crime against humanity, most life and most future life EVER. (Compilation: Betrayal of Life.)
The first step of the challenge we all face is to *see* what's actually happening in the world; to learn how things work, why they are the way they are, and to realize that much of what we're shown and told every day often has very little to do with reality, what's right or what's true.
ecoSanity is an urgent call to action for each of us to learn the basic science, spread the word, organize and mobilize to effect immediate, responsible, expansive social and ecological reform on a massive scale.
Linked above, and general
- Compilation: Psychology of climate crisis denial, inaction, immobilization
- EMERGENCY REPORT: 5 Million Killed Each Year From Carbon Pollution (4.5M) + Climate Impacts (400,000); $1.2 Trillion Annual Cost to World Economy and Rising
- Compilation: +4C by 2060s or sooner catastrophic / incompatible with organized civilization
- Post: Lester Brown Plan 4.0: "We only have months, not years, to save civilization from climate change"
- Compilation: Betrayal of Life
- Article - On the 12th day of Christmas, your gift will just be junk
- Our Challenge: Act
- Our Challenge: Inspire
- ecoSanity 101
Related ecoSanity compilations, posts
- Compilation: The supposed +2C danger threshold is bull****
- Compilation: Dr. James Hansen and the Global Climate EMERGENCY or: Recipe for Disaster, NOT Salvation
- Conservative energy agency (IEA) warning that 'lock in' to irreversible climate change only 5 yrs away far too optimistic; reality even more dire
- Re-post: A Faustian bargain, David Spratt, Climate Code Red
- Re-post: Re-thinking a "safe climate": Have we already gone too far? David Spratt, Climate Code Red
- Compilation: Obscene profits, perverse subsidies a betrayal of life
- Compilation: Arctic Meltdown / Methane time bomb EMERGENCY
- Global carbon budget to avoid irreversible climate tipping points to be exceeded by 2021 or sooner!, David Spratt, George Monbiot
- 2007 IPCC reports: Dangerous, outdated underestimates of the present state and accelerating pace of global climate disruption
- Models guiding climate policy 'dangerously optimistic'
- Race for survival or sprint to extinction? A summary of the March 2009 'Emergency' Climate Conference in Copenhagen (before the December 2009 debacle) that concludes the world is already committed to a near future +2.4C average temp increase
- Compilation: Food/agriculture & climate emergency
- GLOBAL EMERGENCY NOW: Latest (conservative!) climate models project prolonged WORLDWIDE DROUGHTS by 2020s
- EMERGENCY: Mass base life die-off threatens survival of most life!
- Shocking report exposes ocean EMERGENCY: Must achieve zero CO2 emissions within 20 yrs, remove gasses from air, experts
- Compilation: Ocean acidification
- Deadly global weather extremes impact 100s of millions NOW!
- Compilation: Peak oil featuring Richard Heinberg: Life After Growth
- Age of economic growth: Over!
- Compilation: Corporate coup d'etat threatens our survival
- Maude Barlow: Urgent call to unite toward 'a whole different economic, trade and development model'
ecoSanity's most essential EMERGENCY info